Date: October 31, 2012
Time: 9am-12:30 pm (includes lunch)
Location: United Way of Central NM, 2340 Alamo SE, 2nd floor, Albuquerque, NM 87106. (505) 247-3671
NO NEED TO REGISTER. Open to everyone.
MISSION OF THE NETWORK
The NETWORK is working to end domestic and sexual violence in New Mexico. The NETWORK is an inclusive collaborative of multidisciplinary, multicultural domestic violence and sexual assault program providers and organizations dedicated to strengthening policies, protocols and services to reduce the incidence of sexual assault and domestic violence in state and tribal communities. This mission will be accomplished through information and resource sharing; cross-training; identifying gaps, critical needs and/or duplications of services; fostering new partnerships; and collaborating on and supporting legislative efforts.
- 1.5 hours of CEU credits for social workers who sign-in for CEU credit + are present for panel discussion (no fee)
- CEU credits if you attend via webinar and conference call when you contact Vicki Nakagawa prior to the meeting. Vicki.Nakagawa@state.nm.us
Conference Call and Webinar Attendance
- Webinar for visual and text chat: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/join/791137361 Meeting ID: 791-137-361
- Conference call attendance: dial 1.800.920.7487 then enter code: 77866432#
- If you will attend via conference call or webinar, notify Anne Lightsey at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance.
Welcome, Updates and Announcements
9:00 - 9:10 Welcome, introductions, short announcements
9:10 – 9:55 How to contact your legislature and influence legislation, Juliana Koob
9:55 – 10:25 Legislative update, Daniel Manzano and Juliana Koob
10:25 – 10:35 Youth Engagement: What’s In it For You?, Adrian Carver and Youth Rep
Panel Discussion: Intersection of DV and SA (10:35 – 12:00)
The panel will address the intersection of domestic violence and sexual assault. Quite often, sexual assault within domestic violence situations is not directly addressed. These panelists will discuss many of the reasons for this complicated social issue from a variety of perspectives: how the law applies to these situations; a survivor’s experiences; a rural community shelter provider’s experiences; and the experiences of a shelter provider from a larger community. These speakers will help us to better understand the complexities we still encounter when addressing treatment, sentencing, education, and survival from sexual violence within domestic violence situations.
- Pat Acosta, Coordinator for La Casa, Inc. Batterer Intervention and Prevention Program (BIPP), Las Cruces, NM and Client Service Specialist with the Center against Family Violence in El Paso, Texas
- Debra Benedict, liaison, DV/Sexual Assault program at CAFV, El Paso Shelter
- Rosemary Cosgrove-Aquilar, Special Commissioner, Domestic Violence Division, Second Judicial District
- Quintin McShan, Captain, NM State Police
- Edna Sprague, Assistant DA, 2nd Judicial Court, Domestic Violence Unit
- Alexandria Taylor, Executive Director of Valencia Shelter Services
Panel Moderator: Carol McFall
Lunch & Networking
12:00 – 12:30 Lunch and Networking
- Mark your calendars: Dec. 12th, Feb. 27th, April 24th, June 26th
- NEW TIME: Beginning Oct. 31st, Network meetings will be 9:00 – 12:00 and lunch and networking from 12:00 – 12:30
- Meetings are the last Wednesday of every even month, except December when it’s the 2nd Wed.