Policy Department Goals for 2012
By Daniel Manzano
Director of Policy
Public Policy Committee
NMCADV Legislative Advocacy at the State Level
NMCADV works proactively to increase funding for domestic violence services and improve the public policy response to domestic violence. The Coalition works in collaboration with state and local partners to advocate for victim safety, offender accountability and justice for families affected by violence. NMCADV appreciates the many champions in the legislature and the statewide commitment to creating peace at home and building strong communities.
NMCADV Legislative Advocacy at the Federal Level
NMCADV works closely with the National Network to End Domestic (NNEDV) to advocate for full funding for the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), the Family Violence Prevention and Services Act (FVPSA) and the Victims of Crime Act (VOCA). These funding sources support critically needed initiatives in New Mexico. FVPSA is currently funded at 48 million dollars below the level authorized by Congress; and VAWA is funded 200 million below what Congress could be funding. New Mexico’s Congressional Delegation is very supportive of funding to address domestic violence and other crimes, and the Coalition will be working with them as this Congressional funding cycle moves forward.
Public Policy Committee Members
Lynn GentryWood – Chair – DV Resource Center (Albuquerque)
Carol Horwitz – NMCADV Board President (Santa Fe)
Sherry Taylor –Esperanza Shelter (Santa Fe)
Coleen Widell – HEAL (Ruidoso)
Susan Kimbler – Navajo United Methodist Center (Farmington)
Amber Carreon – Family Crisis Center (Farmington)
Claudia Medina – Enlace Comuntario (Albuquerque)
Theresa Armendariz – La Casa Shelter (Las Cruces)
Malinda Williams – Community Against Violence (Taos)
Sally Sanchez – Roberta’s Place (Grants)
Ingrid Bukhuys – Peacekeepers (Espanola)
Tara Salusso – Valencia Shelter for Victims of DV (Valencia)
Erin Olsen – NM Legal Aid (State wide)
Pamela Wiseman – Executive Director of the NMCADV
Daniel Manzano – Director of Policy for the NMCADV
Linda Seigle – State and Federal Lobbyist for the NMCADV
Public Policy Committee Meetings
The Public Policy Committee is scheduled to meet on the first Thursday of each month unless otherwise specified. There will be an agenda emailed out one week prior to each meeting. The agenda will have detailed information on time, location, topics and call in numbers.
Meetings are tentatively set for the following dates:
March 1, 2012 (Legislative Recap Meeting)
- April 5, 2012
- May 10, 2012 (Round Table strategies?)
- June 7, 2012 (possible DC trip this month, Linda to present about November elections?)
- July 12, 2012 (moved for 4th of July Holiday)
- August 2, 2012
- September 6, 2012 (Strategy Meeting?)
- October 4, 2012 (Peacekeeper Awards instead of meeting)
- November 2, 2012
- December 6, 2012 (Day long Legislative Strategy Meeting)
Key Dates to Point Out
- 2013 Legislative Session from January 15 – March 16, 2013. (60 day session)
This document gives us a plan, but will allow for flexibility to change course, add or delete items based on needs of the Coalition.
The meetings / relationship goals are to accomplish at least one meeting per month of the calendar year.
A goal of the Policy Department is to expand the presence of the NMCADV throughout the state through visits, meetings and events throughout the year. Here are some of the proposed outreach opportunities.
Governmental Round Tables possible sites
- Silver City, NM
- Grants, NM
- Taos, NM
- Ruidoso, NM
- Albuquerque, NM
Meetings / Relationships
- CYFD – Secretary Yolanda Deines, Division Director Jered Rounsville, Program Managers Shauna Fujimoto and Coy Maienza
- Legislative Finance Committee CYFD Rep – Mimi Aledo
- Individual Legislative Meetings
- Governor Susana Martinez
- Secretary of State Diana Duran and CAP Program Administrator (NMCADV has to be more involved with this program)
- Sexual Assault Coalition
- Create “Carol’s Survivor Group”
- Meet with Congressional Delegation in New Mexico.
- Meet with Congressional Delegation in Washington D.C.
- Lt. Governor John Sanchez
- Washington DC lobby days. Partner with NNEDV.
- Peacekeeper Awards in October.
- Domestic Violence Awareness Event in October in addition?
- Legislative Reception – 2013
- Legislative Press Conference
- Governmental Round Tables
- Possible Candidate Forum?
Policies to Focus On in 2012
- Budget matters are always the primary focus for our department.
- VAWA, FVPSA, VOCA
- Research Project aimed at helping out member programs. (Confidentiality, courts, anti-donation, etc.)
- State-wide development and support for task force/ CCRC’s?